1. Your first priority is to seek medical care for anyone who might have been injured.
2. Report the accident to the police and make sure a police report is filed.
3. Record the name, address, and telephone number of the other party and all witnesses.
4. Get insurance information such as the insurance agent, policy and insurance company.
5. Take photographs if possible of the location and damaged property.
6. Be careful of what you say. Remember not to provide a statement to anyone until you consult with a lawyer.
7. Seek the advice of an experienced California injury attorney immediately to begin protecting your rights.
Boating accidents include all marine accidents that happen on the high seas and can involve recreational boaters, jet skiers, seamen and/or cruise ship passengers. Different laws regulate litigation for recreational boat accidents and seamen.
We can help you if you have been in international waters or just out on a local water way like Lake Berryessa, Lake Shasta, San Francisco Bay, Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta or a river.
Injured on California Waters
The Kuvara Law Firm represents clients whose injuries from recreational boating have been caused by something as simple as a slick deck or as complicated as a collision with another vessel. Unfortunately, drinking while boating is one of the leading causes of recreational boating, sailboat, and jet ski accidents.
Working on the High Seas
If you have suffered an injury while working on any sort of boat, you are entitled to claim compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering and your lost wages, both past and future. These claims are made under the Jones Act, 46 U.S.C. ?30104, claiming negligence, and under the General Maritime Law, claiming an unseaworthy condition of the vessel or its crew. Payment of these claims comes at the end of the case. However, there a number of specific laws which apply to professional seafarers who have been injured or taken ill while on navigable waters. You need to contact an attorney who can assist you in these legal waters.
Kuvara Law Firm attorneys have a complete understanding of the various factors involved in maritime injury litigation. For instance, state and federal law each have different statutes of limitation for injuries that take place on the water. Your damages are likely to be calculated differently Contact our office to find out more about your legal rights and options.
San Rafael: 415-479-7070
San Francisco: 415-922-5522
San Jose: 408-446-5879
Walnut Creek: 925-932-0709
Redwood City: 650-780-0190
Santa Rosa: 707-571-0405
Los Angeles: 818-839-6640
Orange County: 949-734-4105
San Diego: 619-780-2448